1- Training Program of “New Method of Using PC in University Education” King Abdulaziz University, Center for Teaching & Learning Development (2009).
2- Training Program of “Self-Evaluation and Introduction of Academic Accreditation” King Abdulaziz University, Center for Teaching & Learning Development (2011).
3- Training Program of “Preparing Course Material” King Abdulaziz University, Center for Teaching & Learning Development (2011).
4- Training Program of “Implementing BS OHSAS 1800” The British Standards institute - BSI, United Kingdom London (2009).
5- Training Program of “Learning and Teaching Summer School” Aberystwyth University, Aberystwyth, United Kingdom (2009).
6- Training Program of “Professional Organization of Events” Saudi Electronic University, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia (2015).
· 2015 to date : Rector Advisor of the Saudi Heath Commission Classification.
· 2015 to date : Director of the Microbial Genetics and Biotechnology Training Program, Genomics and Biotechnology Devision, Biological Sciences Dept.
· 2015 to date : Field Consultant for KAU Vice-President of Project Management, KAU.
· 2015 to date : Director of the Advisory Committee for University Staff Housing, KAU.
· 2014 to date : Coordinator of Genomics and Biotechnology Division, Biologicals Science Département.
· 2013 to date : Director of "Introduction of Biology" (Bio110) Module , Dept. of biological science.
· 2008 -2011 : Vice-Dean of Library Affairs, King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah.
· 2008- to date: Head of Microbial Analysis Laboratory (MAL), King Fahad Research Center, King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah.
· 2008 to date: Assistant Professor at the Biological Science Department, Faculty of Science, King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah.
· 2007-2008 Assistant Professor for course of Medical Biology for the undergraduate students in Medical Biology Department, Faculty of Medicine , Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
· 2003- 2004 Lecturer in practical course of Medical Biology for the undergraduate students in Medical Biology Department, Faculty of Medicine , Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
· 1997- 1999 Teaching Assistant in practical course of Medical Biology for the undergraduate students in Medical Biology Department, Faculty of Medicine , Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
January 2004 - May 2007 Ph.D. in Molecular Medical Microbiology & Evaluation of Antimicrobial activity of Medicinal Herbs, Grade: Excellent with second honor degree, 4.87 out of 5.00 scale. Faculty of Science, Department of Biology – Genetics, University of King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
Four years program covered different aspects of the following: Epidemiological survey of Neisseria meningitidis in Western region of Saudi Arabia, Evaluate the efficacy of local treatment and prophylaxis of N. meningitidis including recommended antibiotics and vaccine in suspected areas, Investigate the possibility of using local medicinal plant as alternative to antibiotics. Title of dissertation: “An Investigation on Antimicrobial Growth Effect of Rhazya stricta (Decne) Leaves Extract on Different Genotypes of Neisseria meningitidis”
September 2000 - September 2001 M.Sc. in Molecular Medical Microbiology, Grade: Very Good. Faculty of Medicine, Department of Molecular Medical Microbiology, Queen's Medical Centre, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, United Kingdom.
A one-year program, which covered all aspects of theoretical & practical Molecular Medical Microbiology. The program was divided into three parts, the first 4 months included: Introduction to Medical Microbiology, Microbial and Molecular Techniques, Library Dissertation, Applied Molecular Microbiology, Viral Pathogenesis and Infection. The second 4 months included Research methods, Bacterial Pathogenesis and Infection, Prevention and Treatment of Infection, Research Project. The third part was 3 month later after the second part for research project however it was started at the beginning of the second part and extent for 3 months more giving 8 months total for practical work . A practical project that was titled: “Antiviral Properties of Herbal Extracts on Human Viruses”.
January 1993 - January 1996 B.Sc. in Biology (Microbiology), Grade: Excellent with second honor degree, 4.56 out of 5.00 scale. Faculty of Science, Department of biology, King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. A five year program which covered all aspects of Biology; both theoretically and practically. A practical research project was submitted and it was titled “Antimicrobial Activity of Some Local Actinomycete Isolates.”
HONORS AND APPRECIATIONS
1- Second Honor degree – B.Sc. of Science, King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah (1993).
2- Second Honor degree – Ph.D. of Science, King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah (2007).
3- Certificate of Graduate Student Collaboration (First Grad), King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (2009).
SYMPOSIUM & CONFERENCES
1. American association of Microbiology ASM 2014 General Meeting in Boston as poster presenting "Effect of Nutrients on Matrix Metalloproteinases in Human T-cells lymphotropic virus type 1 (HTLV-1)-positive and –negative Malignant T-cells”, May 17-20 2014, Massachusetts, United States of America.
2. ARABLAB The Expo 2014 in Dubai, United Emirates.
3. September 9-10, 2013, qPCR and Digital PCR Congress, March 17-20, 2014, Lyon, France.
4. Post-Doctoral Training in Molecular Techniques, Plant Pathology Department, Kansas state University, August 6 - 30, 2013, USA.
5. The day of Science Teachers in Intermediate & Secondary Schools, as Speaker, Ministry of Education, April 22, 2013 , Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
6. The Second Workshop of “Implementation of the Second Strategic Plan of King Abdulaziz University”, Attendance, Center of Strategic Studies (CSS), King Abdulaziz University, July 14, 2011, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
7. Speaker at Annual Meeting of the Middle East Strategic Center “The Future of Medicinal Plants in Saudi Arabia”, May 15, 2011, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
8. Annual Congress of International Drug Discovery Science and Technology (IDDST-2010) October 23-26, 2010, Beijing, China.
9. The 26th ICC International Congress of Chemotherapy and Infection, June 18 – 21, 2009, Toronto, Canada.
10. The 7th Arab Conference for Antimicrobial Agents as speaker, American University in Beirut. October 16 – 18, 2009, Beirut, Lebanon.
11. The 2nd Inherited Hemolytic Anemia Update Course & Workshop, Attendance, King Abdulaziz University, Faculty of Medicine, May 2, 2009, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
12. The Annual Hand Washing Campaign 2009, as Speaker, King Abdulaziz Hospital & Oncology Center, March 22-23, 2009, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
13. 17th Pediatric Club Meeting, Saudi Pediatric Association - Western Region, February 6, 2009 Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
14. The Fourth Annual Meeting of Librarians & Information Centers United Arab Company for Training & Administration Consultation, January 20-22 2009, Cairo, Egypt.
15. The 6th Arab Conference for Antimicrobial Agents as speaker and poster, University of Mohammed V Souissi, October 16 – 18, 2008, Rabat. Morocco.
16. Speaker at “Islamic Regulations of the Medical Laboratories” scientific day, King Abdulaziz Hospital and Oncology Center, Jun 29, 2008, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
17. May 10-14 2008 Makkah 4th Annual Conference of Al Noor Specialist Hospital Laboratory and Blood Bank on " Laboratory Medicine & Family Health" as a speaker , Makkah, Saudi Arabia.
18. Workshop “Biotechnology: Strategic point of view” Attendance, Saudi Society of Biotechnology, Taibah University, Almadinah Almonawarah, May 14 2008, Saudi Arabia.
19. The 2nd Annual Student Competition Award 2006/2007,Attendance, Clinical Microbiology Laboratory, King Abdulaziz University Hospital, May 5-7 2007, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
20. The Randomized Clinical Trial Workshop, Attendance, Training & Studies Center, Ministry of Health, March 8, 2008 , Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
21. The International conferences on "Laboratory Medicine and Human Protection: An Update" as a speaker, March 5-9 2007, Makkah, Saudi Arabia.
22. International symposium on Human Nutrition" Diet Program", Ministry of Health, April 5, 2007, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
23. Advanced Solutions in Laboratory Medicine, Attendance, April 10-11 2007, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
24. International symposium of "Introduction to Molecular Medicine and Pharmacogenomics". King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Centre, April 10, 2007, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
25. International conference of Saudi Oryx, Saudi Biology society, April 21-23 2007, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
26. International conference of "An Introduction to the Center of Excellence in Genomic Medicine Research (CEGMR)", June 2, 2007.
27. The 2nd Annual Symposium of Laboratory & Blood Bank Department, Al Noor Specialist Hospital as a speaker , February 21, 2006, Makkah, Saudi Arabia.
MEMBERSHIP OF PROFFICINAL SOCIETIES
ý Membership of American Society for Microbiology (2014-to day).
ý Advisory Board Member of The High Council of Moroccan American Medical and Biology Doctors (HC-MAMBD) (2010).
ý Membership of Moroccan Medical Microbiology Society (SMAMM) (2008).
ý Membership of The Arab Alliance for the prudent Use of Antimicrobials (ArAPUA) (2008).
ý Membership of Saudi Biotechnology Society (2008).
ý Membership of Saudi Biology Society (2007).
ý Membership of Antibiotics Arabian Society (2006).
ý Membership of Egyptian Medical Microbiology Society (2006).
ý Membership of Immunology and Genetic disorders (2006).
- DNA isolation and Purification by manual and automated methods for microbial.
- DNA Fingerprinting.
- RFLP (Restriction Fragment Length Polymorphism).
- RAPD (Random Amplified Polymorphic DNA).
- Herbal Extract preparations for research purposes.
- Evaluation of Antimicrobial activity of Herbal Extracts.
- Phenotyping & Genotyping for Neisseria meningitides.
- Molecular Epidemiology of Pathogenic Bacteria
PUBLICATION & PRESENTATION
1. N. A. Baeshin, S. H. Qari, J. S. M. Sabir and A. M. Alhejin (2008). Biochemical and Molecular Evaluation of Genetic Effects of Rhazya stricta (Decne) Leafs Extract on Aspergillus terreus. Saudi Journal of Biological Sciences, 15(1).
2. F. A. Amer, Y. M. Ragab and A. M. Alhejin (2009). Anaerobic Bacteria in pyogenic infections: incidence and susceptibility to antianaerobic agents.26thInernational Congress of Chemotherapy and Infection, Toronto (Canada), June 18-21, 2009. International Proceeding Division. ISBN: 978-88-7587-546-6.
3. F. A. Amer, T. Geith and A. M. Alhejin (2009). Resistance of Helicobacter pylori to antibiotics and associated risk factors. 26thInernational Congress of Chemotherapy and Infection, Toronto (Canada), June 18-21, 2009. International Proceeding Division. ISBN: 978-88-7587-546-6.
4. F. A. Amer, E. M. Elbehedy, H. A. Mohtady, R. M. Elbehedy and A. M. Alhejin (2009). An outbreak of ESBL-producing K. pneumoniae blood stream infection in a neonatal intensive care unit at a university hospital in Egypt. 26thInernational Congress of Chemotherapy and Infection, Toronto (Canada), June 18-21, 2009. International Proceeding Division. ISBN: 978-88-7587-546-6.
5. A.M. Alhejin, I. Saleh, E. Barbour and S. Harakeh (2010). High Rate of Antimicrobial Resistance in E. coli Isolated From Dairy Based Foods. Annual Congress of International Drug Discovery Science and Technology (IDDST-2010), Beijing, China.
6. F. J. R. Abadi, A. M. Abdulaziz, A. A. Hadhoud , N. A. Baeshin , S. H. Qari and A. M. Alhejin (2011). An epidemiological survey and evaluation of the antimicrobial growth effect of Rhazya stricta (Decne) leaves extract on different genotypes of Neisseria meningitidis. Egyptian Journal of Medical Microbiology, 20(2) 77-86.
7. A. A. Hadhoud, A. M. Abdulaziz, H. Z. Asfour and A. M. Alhejin (2011). Imp-1 Metallo Beta-Lactamase Producing Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Resistance to Antibiotics. Egyptian Journal of Medical Microbiology, 20(1) 191-198.
8. Iyer, A. , Barbour, E. , Azhar, E. , Qadri, I. , Chaudhary, A. , Abuzenadah, A. , Kumosani, T. , Damanhouri, G. , Bahijri, S. , Alhejin, A. , Nour, A. and Harakeh, S. (2013) Bacteriophages in Escherichia coli antimicrobial resistance. Advances in Bioscience and Biotechnology, 4, 469-476.
9. A. A. El-Badry, H. A. El-Beshbishy, K. H. Al-Ali, A. M. Alhejin and Wael S. M. El-Sayed (2013) Molecular and serprevalence of imported dengue virus infection in Al-Madinah, Saudi Arabia. Comp. Clin. Pathol. 23:861–868.
10. El Beyrouthy, M., Kafrouny M., Apostolides, N., Alhejin, A., Siddig, L., sharif, A., Azhar, E., Abdel Nour, A. (2013). Macroscopic, Microscopic and DNA Fingerprinting to fight Adulteration of Banafsaj (VIOLA ODORATA L.) Sold at the Lebanese Herbal Shops. European journal of scientific research. 104(4):642-651.
11. Al-Kordy M.A., A.M. Shokry, A.M.M. Al-Hejin, A.A. Al-Ahmadi, S. Edris, A.M. Ramadan, N.O. Gadalla, F.M. El-Domyati and A. Bahieldin (2013) Detection of wheat (Triticum aestivum) cultivars with contrasting performance under abiotic stresses. Life Science Journal. 2(10):2746-2756.
12. Sabir, J., Mutwakil, M., EL-Hanafy, A., Al-Hejin, A., Abdel Sadek, M., Abou-Alsoud, M., Qureshi M., Saini, K., and Ahmed, M. (2014). Applying molecular tools for improving livestock performance: From DNA markers to next generation sequencing technologies. Journal of Food, Agriculture & Environment.12 (2): 351-363.
13. Bahieldin, A., Al-Kordy, M., Shokry, A., Gadalla, N., Al-Hejin, A., Sabir, J., Hassan, S., Al-Ahmadi, A., Schwarz, E., El-Domyati, F., Jansen, R. (2014). Corrected sequence of the wheat plastid genome. C. R. Biologies. 337:499–502.
14. Harakeh, S., Abou-Khouzam, R., Damanhouri, G., Al-Hejin, A., Kumosani, T., Niedzwiecki, A., Rath, M., Barbour, E., Diab-Assaf, M., Azar, R. (2014). Effects of nutrients on matrix metalloproteinases in human T-lymphotropic virus type 1 positive and negative malignant T-lymphocytes. Interl. J. Oncol. 45: 2159-2166, 2014.
15. El Bestawy, E., AL-Hejin, A., Amer, R., Kashmeri, R. A. (2014). Decontamination of Domestic Wastewater Using Suspended Individual and Mixed Bacteria in Batch System. J Bioremed Biodeg. 5:5.
16. Baeshen, M. N., Al-Hejin, A. M., Bora, R. S., Ahmed, M. M. M., Ramadan, H. A. I.M, Saini, K. S., Baeshen, N. A., Redwan, E. M. (2015) Production of Biopharmaceuticals in E. coli: Current scenario and future perspectives, Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, 2015 Mar 3. [Epub ahead of print].
17. Harakeh, S., Azar, R., Azhar, E., Damanhouri, G. A., Assidi, M., Abu-Elmagd, M. , Alqahtani, M. H., Kumosani, T., Niedzwiecki, A., Rath, M., Al-Hejin, A., Barbour, E., Diab-Assaf, M. (2015) Specific nutrient combination effects on tax, NF- κB and MMP-9 in human T-cell lymphotropic virus -1 positive malignant T-lymphocytes. BMC Cancer, 15(Suppl 1):S2.
18. Yacoub, H. A., Elazazy, A. M., Abuzinadah, O. A., Al-Hejin, A, M., Mahmoud, M. M., Harakeh, M. S.,(2015) Antimicrobial activities of chicken β -defensin (4 and 10) peptides against pathogenic bacteria and fungi. Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology. (5):1-10.
19. Redwan, E. M, El-Baky, N. A, Al-Hejin, A. M, Baeshen, M. N, Almehdar, H. A, Al-Masaudi, S. B, Elsaway, A., Uversky, V.N. (2015) Differential and synergistic effects of camel lactoferrin against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). BBA - Molecular Basis of Disease. Submitted-2015.
20. Baeshen, M. N., Al-Attas, S. G., Ahamed, M. M. M., Faragalla, A.A , Ramdan, H. A., Mahyoub, J. A., Al-Hejin A. M., Alabdali, H. A., Baeshen, N. A.(2015) Phylogeny of the Dengue fever mosquito/vector Aedes aegypti (L.) (Diptera: Culicidae) genotypes in Jeddah and molecular evaluation of the pesticidal effect of the desert shrub Rhazya stricta (Decne) aqueous leave extract on their larvae. Submitted 2015.
A. Fund From KAU:
1- Fund of Highly Cited Program from King Abdulaziz University with University of Toulouse (France) to support the project of "Valorization of alkaloids from the fruits of the Saudi Arabian medicinal plant Rhazya stricta: skin healing activities and cosmetic properties" Sum of 400,000 SR. (201(Running)
2- Fund of Junior Faculty Research Grants from Deanship of Scientific Research in King Abdulaziz University to support the project of “Differential and synergistic effects of camel lactoferrin against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)” Sum of 50,000 SR. (Completed).
B. Fund From out of KAU:
1- Fund from King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST) for supporting the project of "An Investigation on Antimicrobial Growth Effect of Rhazya stricta (Decne) Leaves Extract on Different Genotypes of Neisseria meningitidis” Sum of 77,000 SR. (Completed).
2- Fund from King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST) for supporting the project of "Comparison between Different Phenotypic and Genotypic Methods for Detection of Metallo B-lactamase in Pseudomonas aeruginosa that has Multi-drug Resistance to Antibiotics" Sum of 34,091 SR. (Completed).
3- Fund from King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST) for supporting the project of "Early Molecular Detection of some of the most causative Bacterial species of Cystic Fibrosis in Jeddah City". Sum of 49,999 SR. (Completed).
4- Fund from King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST) for supporting the project of “Food contamination sources in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia” sum of 1,954,000 SR. (Running).
5- Fund from King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST) for supporting the project of “Study on synergistic efficacy of ß-defensin peptides and immunoglobulin IgY to combat coccidiosis in Saudi chicken populations” Sum of 1,424,170 SR. (Running).
6- Fund from King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST) for supporting the project of “Development of a Universal Dengue Virus Vaccine Using an Epitope-Focused and Scaffold-Based Approach” Sum of 2,000,000 SR. (Submitted).
7- Fund from King Abdulaziz University, Highly Cited Program for supporting the project of “Valorization of alkaloids from the fruits of the Saudi Arabian medicinal plant Rhazya stricta: skin healing activities and cosmetic properties” Sum of 400,000 SR. (Running).